The PowerShot S2 IS is ready for action! With high resolution, an exceptionally long and superbly engineered zoom, sophisticated movie capabilities and an exciting array of shooting options, this camera can more than handle the busiest lifestyles.Wait until you see the difference that 30 frames-per-second VGA continuous movie recording makes in your films. You'll hear the difference, too the S2 IS is equipped to record in stereo, with a high sampling rate, adjustable microphone level setting and wind filter option for excellent sound quality. The camera even allows digital zooming and manual focus during movie recording.
LCD Screen Size: 1.8 in
Memory Card Support: Secure Digital (SD) Card
Camera Type: Compact Camera
Effective Megapixels: 5 Megapixel
Image Stabilization: Optical
Lens Mount: Fixed
normalized-Optical Zoom: 12
Product Title: Canon PowerShot S2 IS 5 Megapixel Compact Camera - Silver
Power Score: 4.4 | 82 Reviews
Total Pixels: 5300000
Image Sensor: CCD
Maximum Video Capture Resolution: 640 x 480
Interface Connection: 1 x USB, 1 x Video Out, 1 x Audio Out, 1 x DC Power In
Flash: Auto Flash, Red-eye Reduction
Optical Zoom: 12 X
Digital Zoom: 4x
Focal Length: 6 mm to 72 mm
Max Aperture: 2.7 1/f
Removable Flash Memory Included: 16 MB Secure Digital (SD) Card
Height: 3.1 in
Weight: 14.30 oz
Width: 4.5 in
Depth: 3.0 in
Warranty Information: 1 Year Limited
URL: Manufacturer Link
Viewfinder Type: Optical
Image Format: DCF, DPOF, EXIF, JPEG
Continuous Shooting Speed: 2.4 frames/s (fps)
Product Line: PowerShot
Max Focal Length: 72 mm
Shortest Shutter Speed: 1/3200 Second
Video Capture Format: AVI, MJPEG
Product Model: S2 IS
Brand Name: Canon
Number of Resolution Modes: 5
Number of Scene Modes: 9
Metering Characteristics: Center-weighted Average, Evaluative, Spot
Minimum Shutter Speed: 15 sec.
White Balance Modes: AutoCustomPre-set:DaylightCloudyTungstenFluorescentFluorescent HFlash
Min Focus Distance: 3.9 in
Bulb Setting: No
Max Zoom: 48 X
Camera Modes: Shooting Modes:AutoCreative zone:P: ProgramAv: Aperture priorityTv: Shutter priorityM: ManualC: CustomImage zone:Stitch AssistMovieMy ColorsPortraitLandscapeNight Scene Special Scene: FoliageSnowBeachFireworksIndoorNight SnapshotPhoto Effects:OffVividNeutralLow SharpeningSepiaBlack & WhiteCustomPlayback Modes:SingleIndex (9 thumbnail images)Slide showMagnification (approx. 2 to 10x)JumpMovieErase Modes:Still Image:Single imageAll imagesMovie:Part of movieAll of movie
HD Movie Mode: No
Frequency Band: Sensitivity:AutoISO 50ISO 100ISO 200ISO 400
Maximum Shutter Speed: 3200 1/f
Exposure Settings: AE Lock, Aperture Priority, Auto Exposure, Manual Exposure, Multiple Program Modes, Shutter Priority
Memory Card Type Include: Secure Digital (SD) Card
Battery Include: Yes
Product Series: S
Maximum Frame Rate: 30 frames/s (fps)
White Balance: Auto, Manual, Preset Modes
Focus Features: Focus Bracketing, Manual Focus, Spot Focus, TTL Auto Focus
General Features: Flash Cancel (On/Off), Photo Date/Time Stamping, Red-Eye Reduction, Self Timer
Maximum Image Resolution: 2592 x 1944
Included Components: Carrying Strap, Lens Cover, PC Connection Cable, Recording Media
Image Sensor Quantity: 1
Exposure Control: Program AEShutter speed-priority AEAperture-priority AEManual
Power Source: (4) AA Battery, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Battery, Rechargeable Battery
Image Sensor Size: 0.4 in
Number of Batteries Support: 4
Battery Built-in: No
ISO Equivalencies: 100, 200, 400, 50
Max Horizontal Image Resolution: 2592 pixels
Min Focal Length: 6 mm
Max Vertical Image Resolution: 1944 pixels
Product Reviews (16)
Black Screen DIY
Strengths: Great Camera
Weakness: CCD issue, black Screen of death
This is a great camera and i had been using this for atleast 2 years, taken nearly 3k-4k pictures with it. the most important thing i like about this camera is the ZOOM, its a killer, and the most important thing i dint like is its bulky, nevertheless have so many cameras in market which is less bulky with a good zoom capability, but i like my S2. recently seeing that many other owners...
Read Full Review
This is a great camera and i had been using this for atleast 2 years, taken nearly 3k-4k pictures with it.
the most important thing i like about this camera is the ZOOM, its a killer, and the most important thing i dint like is its bulky, nevertheless have so many cameras in market which is less bulky with a good zoom capability, but i like my S2.
recently seeing that many other owners complaining about Black screen of death, so gathered some pictures of how to dismatle the camera to reach the CCD, here it is
hope this is helpful
By srirampstsi - Oct 16, 2008
Quality Camera with a great price
Strengths: Strengths: entry level SLR
Weakness: Weaknesses: a litte big in size, lcd screen a tad small.
Excellent images, excellent photos, flawless reliability.
Just the perfect Camera for the money.
would benefit from an even bigger optical zoom, but that's probably unrealistic at this price range
By anonymous; - Mar 18, 2008
Great Pictures - Lens error
Strengths: Great picture quality for such a high ranging zoom lens. 12x Optical Zoom lens is very nice. The photographer in me loves all the manual settings.
Weakness: The lens has not been working correctly (E12 Error - Lens not contracting) and is now in the shop. This camera has been very well cared for and the lens problem is disheartening.
Over all the Cannon S2 IS is one of the better cameras I have owned. Just wish it spent less time in the shop. As an amateur photographer, I find this camera's manual settings a big plus, though it also works as a point and click.
By anonymous; - Dec 19, 2007
Strengths: Everything on this camera is great.
This is the best camera you can buy for the money, period. I love it! I love the quality of the images and the optical zoom! Gives you options of a more expensive camera.
By mountainlighting - Nov 30, 2007
Fantastic Ultra Zoom camera for all purposes
Strengths: Super Ergonomic design and ease of operation, great zoom and lenses, plenty of automatic and manual settings, DVD quality video with stereo sound, AA batteries, Canon warranty
Weakness: A tad smallish LCD, and that's about it...
Greetings, reader! I had my eyes set on this camera since its predecessor Canon S1 IS appeared and paid FULL RETAIL PRICE which it still worth every single penny. I’ve taken thousands of photos (including a couple thousands in three days of semi-finals and finals of World Badminton Championship in 2005 in Anaheim, CA) and hundred of videos with it and Canon and always was impressed with the...
Read Full Review
I had my eyes set on this camera since its predecessor Canon S1 IS appeared and paid FULL RETAIL PRICE which it still worth every single penny. I’ve taken thousands of photos (including a couple thousands in three days of semi-finals and finals of World Badminton Championship in 2005 in Anaheim, CA) and hundred of videos with it and Canon and always was impressed with the quality of pictures and videos.
1) First thing is the “feel” of camera in the hand. When you take the camera, you should feel it as a natural extension of your hand – S2 IS does it for me. It has a convenient grip and all controls are readily accessible with just one hand. You can pull this camera from the bag and start shooting in less that a couple of seconds, so you never miss interesting moment. Also menus and settings are very intuitive – you can start shooting from the moment you pull it from the box.
2) 12x magnifications is a fantastic feature that is hard to forget once you’ve tried it. With this camera you have an equivalent of entry DSLR with telephoto lens, with the 2-3 times savings in price and weight. I’m not mentioning the size and weight comparing to the regular bar-like camera as negative aspect, because you can’t have great zoom squeezed in tiny lenses and case.
3) With Canon S2 IS you will have full range of picture modes: from complete Auto (Point’n’Shoot) to Manual where you will need to set up everything – to get custom made photos – e.g. fascinating night scenes. Also you will not need your camcorder anymore – with DVD quality video, stereo sound and very quiet ultrasonic motor you can shoot shorts videos (of up to 8 min in DVD quality or up to 1 GB file size). That’s more than enough for short pieces and if you have a couple of 2GB cards (each around 20 bucks) – this is all you will need – you can always dump them to you PC and do some video editing.
4) For entry level cameras it’s important to have accessible accessories – e.g. card and battery. SD cards are one of the cheapest, smallest and widely available nowadays cards. And you can run S2 IS on alkaline AA batteries (although I strongly suggest high capacity NiMH batteries and quick charge) which you can buy in any store.
5) Last, but not least – Canon Warranty. Love to buy from company that stands behind its products. After over a year of hard use the camera started to occasionally give glitches, and I requested RMA from Canon. Even though I was a little over time line and spend a couple of weeks looking for store receipt, they accepted it without hesitation and send the replacement in due time. I opened a box and there was … not my oldie S2 IS but a newer S3 IS, which I was considering as an upgrade. Great surprise, thanks CANON. Looking forward to years of enjoyable experience.
With Canon S2 IS – you can’t go wrong!
By golddragonfly - Feb 7, 2007